Thursday, August 16, 2007

Word Class Truck - Nissan Titan 2006

The 2006 Nissan Titan is a world-class truck. This full size pickup is at the top of its class with 379 lb-ft of torque. I had an opportunity to test drive and look at the Titan's when looking to purchase a full size truck. I looked at the Tundra, too. The Toyota is no slacker by any means, but this Titan is sharp.

Let's just start with the big silver 5.6 numbers you see on the back of the truck. That means it has the 305 hp V8 engine - strong enough to tow 9500 lbs. It does have a fully boxed frame, so give up on those Ford commercials. Notice they only compare the Ford to the Dodge and Chevrolet pickups? Wonder why? No, I don't.

Closest comparison I can find to the Titan's power is the F150 with the larger 5.4-liter engine. It has 300 hp and can tow as much as the Titan. But the tow package on the Titan comes with a lower final gear ratio to act more like a 4 speed automatic instead of a 5 speed. It also has a transmission temperature gauge and trailer brake controller prewired under the dash.

Now if you are more the off-roading type, you'll like the electronic locking rear differential and the Rancho off-road shocks. It also has fog lights and skid plates which are a must have.

The Titan boasts most modern conveniences as the Tundra like braking distribution and shifting on the fly 4wd.

In my inspection of the 2005 and 2006 models, I did notice a neat feature. The tailgate weighs a ton, but on the 2006 model, it appears weightless. Nissan added gas shocks to aid in lowering and raising the tailgate. Pretty slick. The other really neat feature I found in this truck was the locking outside toolbox. It's a lockbox under the left rear tire, up under the fender. There's a door and a locking latch to store other things, like tools and such. It's pretty cool. That has me on a bias towards the Nissan as if the other features didn't.

In the bed is a factory sprayed on bed liner and this neat utility track to hold stuff in place. Rather, it allows me to position ropes and tie downs where I need them. But inside, the interior has something to be desired. Looks like a 350Z nightmare. The steering wheel and gauge cluster is nice, but move over to the right of that and, I dunno, just not my taste.

There are 3 trim levels, XE, SE, and LE. The SE seems to be the most common and it's nice. Not much difference as I can tell between an SE and LE. It is a nice truck and should be considered if you are shopping around as I am and have been.

1 comment:

Lexie said...

Hi,

My name is Lexie Puckett and I work in PR for PriceGrabber.com. We are looking to contract an Auto Parts blogger for our website http://www.pricegrabber.com/ I read some of your latest posts and I thought your blog was an interesting and smart read. We are looking for an Auto Parts blogger to post original content on products, hot topics, and trends.

Please let me know if you are interested and we can connect to discuss blogging details, and payment. Please feel free to contact me via phone or email.

Best Regards,

Lexie Puckett

Communications Associate
PriceGrabber.com
Lexie@PriceGrabber.com
310-954-1040 X223